Step into Autumn, at Balfour
Visit one of England’s “best vineyards” (The Sunday Times) this Autumn for a truly exceptional experience.
Autumn is a wonderful time to visit an English Winery, and at Balfour we’re perfectly set-up to welcome you. Whether you’re looking for an indulgent afternoon of seasonal dishes, paired with award-winning wines, or looking to stretch your legs and reconnect with nature on a guided or self-guided vineyard tour.
Enjoy our natural home
This time of year at Balfour is a real period of contrast. It’s the time when nature is turning from one extreme to the other – from the vibrancy of summer to the dormancy of winter. You can see that as you walk through our vineyards and ancient woodlands.
It’s a great time to see nature on our estate, as our Conservation Lindy explains :
“The colours of the summer months are gradually giving way to the golds and oranges at the start of autumn. Berries are abundant in the ancient woodland – blackberries and elderberries provide food and moisture to so many species.
Spiders are at their peak and are busy building impressive webs to attract mates. Spotted in our woodland on a recent walk were common lizards. They too are using the benefit of the recent hot temperatures and are basking in the sunshine. And it’s a time of year when our dear herds become more visible and vocal too”.
Delight in seasonal dishes
Enjoy seasonal sharing platters and our new flatbread menu – all cooked by our expert in-house chefs.
Or join us at one of our regular Dining Club sessions; where expertly prepared courses have been created by our chefs to pair perfectly with our wines. A perfect evening for a romantic escape or a family celebration.
Look out for newly released wines
As one harvest comes in, past vintages are still being released – including some exceptional wines for autumn.
In late summer, our Skye’s Chardonnay 2022 was released to superb acclaim from Balfour customers both in this country and around the world. And you can now try the wine’s fuller-bodied older brother, the Springfield Chardonnay 2019, at our Cellar Door.
Keep an eye out too for a very special Wine of the Month (our rotating 25% off slot) for October, before we approach winter with an array of exciting Festive and Black Friday offerings.
What else can you do at Balfour Winery?
Balfour is about more than superb wine.
- Take a tour around the estate, either on your own or with one of our expert tour guides, to fully understand and appreciate the landscape and our vines.
- Enjoy a tasting of Balfour wines, both still and sparkling, from our beautiful winery as you overlook the vines.
- Book onto one of our special events, including superb Dining Club dinners, or even take part in our Murder Mystery evening this October.
Make it an overnight by booking into one of the local Balfour pubs:
- The Goudhurst Inn (4 miles from the winery)
- The Tickled Trout (9 miles from the winery)
- The Windmill (11 miles from the winery)
- The Woolpack (12 miles from the winery)
We also cater for parties, corporate events and even weddings.
Get here by train
we have launched a free shuttle bus service – so that you can sip award-winning wines, in a stunning vineyard setting, just 45 minutes from central London – without needing to take a car.
Our shuttle bus will run from Marden train station every weekend, from August 19th onwards.
How do you take advantage of this free service? The details…
- From Saturday the 19th and Sunday the 20th, our free shuttle service will be leaving Marden station every half an hour. With departures timed to meet the regular London trains.
- And taking a circular route to and from our vineyards, during our opening hours at the winery (10 am – 6 pm)
- There’s no option to pre-book a slot – just hop on board.
- Please note our shuttle bus can only seat 7 people, if the bus is full when you arrive our driver will come back immediately to collect you.
- The shuttle bus will take around five minutes to take you from Marden station to our winery (or you can take the 15-minute or so walk)
Why visit us this year?
Balfour Winery, which was established in 2002, alone sees over 15,000 visitors a year, and the number is continuing to rise as day trips and staycations from the capital become part of the UK’s annual tourist calendar.
Taking a walk through our beautiful estate is an unforgettable experience. There’s nothing like seeing a vineyard to truly understand the beauty, and skill, which goes into producing wines. The experience can be mindful, fun and energising all at once.
As one of the founding members of Sustainable Wines of Great Britain, we safeguard our beautiful home and encourage visitors to leave their car and opt for greener transport. Alongside vineyards, we boast a host of wildflower meadows, ancient woodlands and fruit orchards too – meaning a day trip to our winery is a rewarding, and delicious, experience.
With trains running every 30 minutes from Charing Cross and London Bridge to England’s growing wine region in Kent, getting to a winery has never been easier (or greener).
Visitor numbers to English wineries have boomed over recent years, with UK wineries expecting a further 20% increase in visitor numbers over the next five years (according to WineGB) – as more and more of us discover the incredible wine region emerging on our doorstep.
Balfour has been featured in a host of articles on the best wineries to visit in the UK, including Country Living, Good Housekeeping and the Sunday Times. We’re also proud to be accredited by VisitEngland.
Book your train with South Eastern Rails direct to Marden, using the form below, to visit Balfour Winery.Back to Blog