Get to Balfour, in just 45 minutes, with our FREE shuttle bus
Visiting one of England’s “best vineyards” (The Sunday Times) just got even easier, as this August we have launched a free shuttle bus service – so that you can sip award-winning wines, in a stunning vineyard setting, just 45 minutes from central London – without needing to take a car.
Our shuttle bus will run from Marden train station every weekend, from August 19th onwards.
How do you take advantage of this free service? The details…
- From Saturday the 19th and Sunday the 20th, our free shuttle service will be leaving Marden station every half an hour. With departures timed to meet the regular London trains.
- And taking a circular route to and from our vineyards, during our opening hours at the winery (10am – 6pm)
- There’s no option to pre-book a slot – just hop on board.
- Please note our shuttle bus can only seat 7 people, if the bus is full when you arrive our driver will come back immediately to collect you.
- The shuttle bus will take around five minutes to take you from Marden station to our winery (or you can take the 15 minute or so walk)
Why visit us this year?
Balfour Winery, which was established in 2002, alone sees over 15,000 visitors a year, and the number is continuing to rise as day trips and staycations from the capital become part of the UK’s annual tourist calendar.
Taking a walk through our beautiful estate is an unforgettable experience. There’s nothing like seeing a vineyard to truly understand the beauty, and skill, which goes into producing wines. The experience can be mindful, fun and energising all at once.
As one of the founding members of Sustainable Wines of Great Britain, we safeguard our beautiful home and encourage visitors to leave the car and opt for greener transport. Alongside vineyards, we boast a host of wildflower meadows, ancient woodlands and fruit orchards too – meaning a day trip to our winery is a rewarding, and delicious, experience.
With trains running every 30 minutes from Charing Cross and London Bridge to England’s growing wine region in Kent, getting to a winery has never been easier (or greener).
Visitor numbers to English wineries have boomed over recent years, with UK wineries expecting a further 20% increase in visitor numbers over the next five years (according to WineGB) – as more and more of us discover the incredible wine region emerging on our doorstep.
What else can you do at Balfour Winery?
Balfour is about more than superb wine.
- Take a tour around the estate, either on your own or with one of our expert tour guides, to fully understand and appreciate the landscape and our vines.
- Enjoy a tasting of Balfour wines, both still and sparkling, from our beautiful winery as you overlook the vines.
- Book onto one of our special events, including superb Dining Club dinners, or even take part in Yoga in the Vineyard.
- Enjoy seasonal sharing platters and our new flatbread menu – all cooked by our expert in house chefs.
Make it an overnight by booking into one of local Balfour pubs:
- The Goudhurst Inn (4 miles from the winery)
- The Tickled Trout (9 miles from the winery)
- The Windmill (11 miles from the winery)
- The Woolpack (12 miles from the winery)
We also cater for parties, corporate events and even weddings.
Speaking after the move, Balfour’s Commercial Director, Sarah Easton, said :
“We want there to be as few barriers as possible for people to discover our beautiful winery. At a time we are all looking for greener ways to get away, we’ve made it as easy as possible to jump on a train and join us at Balfour, with the launch of this new free service.
The boom in interest in English winery visits over recent years has been incredible to see. There’s a real realisation now that you don’t need to go abroad to savour the joy of visiting a vineyard.”
Balfour have been featured in a host of articles on the best wineries to visit in the UK, including Country Living, Good Housekeeping and the Sunday Times. We’re also proud to be accredited by VisitEngland.
Book your train with South Eastern Rails direct to Marden, using the form below, to visit Balfour Winery.
Back to Blog